Classic Hits 103.9 WLPO

News from the Illinois Valley

Archive for September 16th, 2013

Oglesby Council Tells City Worker To Move Or Be Fired

Posted by wlpo on September 16, 2013

Do you think if someone is being paid as a city employee they should have to live in that city?

According to the NewsTribune, the Oglesby City Council is giving electrical worker Michael Wrobleski the choice of moving within 5 miles of the city limits or losing his job. The council voted to write Wrobleski a letter giving him 30 days to move back within 5 miles saying he’s violating his contract by living in rural Granville.

Electric Commissioner Dom Rivara voted against the ultimatum saying it’s wrong saying there’s no uniform residency requirement for other city workers.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Amphitheater In Ottawa’s Future?

Posted by wlpo on September 16, 2013

It’s one thing to talk about development, it’s another thing to actually see what it would look like.

Ferhat Zerin of Gingko Planning of Design from Orland Park held another public forum on redeveloping the Central School and Jordan Block properties last night.  Scale models and drawings featured what the property would look like with a 4 to 5 thousand seat amphitheater.  Zerin says an amphitheater is one of the most popular wishes among people in Ottawa to put on the land along with a rec center, ice rink or water recreation space.  She’s also heard wilder suggestions like a riverboat casino.

Zerin thinks the first thing to do is to extend and connect the existing River Walk.  She also thinks any new development on the old Central School site should come with restaurants facing the amphitheater or whatever is built so that the rest of the downtown is better connected to the riverfront.

Ottawa City Planner Tami Huftel says the city has to come up with a conceptual plan by this spring under guidelines of a grant they’re using to update their comprehensive plan.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Accused Sandy Ford Bridge shooter now accused of home invasion

Posted by wlpo on September 16, 2013

A man accused of shooting a person in the face is also accused of breaking into a 92-year-old woman’s home.

Richard Felton of Chicago was charged with class X felony home invasion.  The Ottawa Police Department announced the charges Monday.  The robbery happened during the early morning hours of August 8.  Police say Felton along with Jimmy Members Jr. of Chicago went into the home on West Jefferson Street, tied up the woman and stole items from the house.

Police say the woman was able to break free and call 9-1-1. She wasn’t hurt.

Members was also charged with home invasion.  A woman from Streator, Brittany Dorsam, was charged with residential burglary.  The three are being held in the La Salle County Jail.

Felton was indicted last week for attempted murder.  Police say he shot a Grand Ridge man in the face while on the Sandy Ford Bridge.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Officials: Navy Yard shooter ID’ed as Aaron Alexis

Posted by wlpo on September 16, 2013

WASHINGTON (AP) – The Navy says a gunman who opened fire inside a building at the Washington Navy Yard was a full-time reservist from 2007 to 2011.

The Navy said in a release Monday that 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, of Texas, left the Navy on Jan. 31, 2011, as a petty officer 3rd class. It’s not immediately clear why he left.

Alexis had been working for the fleet logistics support squadron No. 46, in Fort Worth, Texas. The Navy says his home of record was New York City.

Alexis was one of 13 people killed during the rampage.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Longtime Ottawa Fire Captain Retires

Posted by wlpo on September 16, 2013

After a twenty year run, an Ottawa Fire Department captain has called it a career.

Captain William Manley retired officially last Wednesday.  He joined the Ottawa Fire Department in 1993, becoming lieutenant in 2005 and then captain in 2008.

Former Lieutenant Tim Geiger has been promoted to captain.  He’s been with the department for 18 years.

To replace Geiger, firefighter Chris Saar has been promoted to lieutenant.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Job Fair Planned In Princeton

Posted by wlpo on September 16, 2013

Do you or someone you know need a job?

Local unemployment groups and chambers of commerce are planning a “Just Hire One Job Fair” Wednesday, October 2nd at the Bureau County Metro Center in Princeton.  Businesses signed on to be looking for workers at the job fair so far include James Hardie, Mennie Machine, and Innovative Staff Solutions.

Local unemployment offices NCI Works and BEST Inc. say if each employer in the Illinois Valley added just one employee they could greatly reduce the area’s unemployment rates.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Earlville Drive-In Still Vying For Votes

Posted by wlpo on September 16, 2013

There’s still a chance for you to help the Earlville Drive-In win a new digital projector.

Honda has extended its “Project Drive-In” vote thru September 21st.  They’re donating four more digital projectors to the top vote getting drive-ins across the country.

In the first round of voting, a drive-in in McHenry was one of five winners.  The next four winning theaters will be announced on September 23rd.

To vote, go to http://projectdrivein.com/

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Stage 212 Announces Schedule For 2014

Posted by wlpo on September 16, 2013

The sun will be coming out next summer at Stage 212 in La Salle.

The theater company has released its 2014 performance schedule and it includes the classic “Annie”.  The next season opens this winter with a musical comedy called “Putnam County Spelling Bee”.  Neil Simon’s comedy “God’s Favorite” will be the spring play with a comedy called “The Rainmaker”.

Season tickets are on sale now at the Stage 212 box office in downtown La Salle. Season tickets are 55 dollars.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Princeton Antiques Store Robber Gets Prison Time

Posted by wlpo on September 16, 2013

It’s a decade in prison for a man who robbed a Princeton antiques store at gunpoint.

David Jones started serving his ten years in prison last Tuesday at Stateville Correctional Center.  Jones went into Anne’s Antiques May 18th and cleaned out the store’s cash register while showing an air pistol.

He will get credit for already serving over three months in the Bureau County Jail.  Jones did prison time before after being convicted for possession of a stolen vehicle and aggravated battery.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »