Classic Hits 103.9 WLPO

News from the Illinois Valley

Archive for June 25th, 2016

Chicago group waits out storm in Oglesby fire station

Posted by wlpo on June 25, 2016

A great story has come out of all the chaos Wednesday night with the severe weather.

Chicago mom Megan Meinhardt was at Sam’s Pizza in Oglesby with young children when sirens started blaring. With her son having major anxiety, Meinhardt and her kids sought shelter and comfort at the nearby Oglesby fire station. The group spent about an hour at the station, getting a tour and learning about what firefighters and paramedics do while waiting the storms out.

Meinhardt took to her Facebook page to think Oglesby firefighters. She said “I can’t thank them enough for taking us in. What a terrific community!”

Advertisements

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Governor praises volunteers and first responders during trip to see storm damage in Pontiac

Posted by wlpo on June 25, 2016

Governor Bruce Rauner got an up close look at the tornado aftermath in Pontiac.

The Republican made an appearance Friday morning and came away saying “we count our blessings the damage from this tornado wasn’t worse.” Most of the damage in Pontiac was along Interstate 55. Four people were hurt in the storm.

The governor’s office says so far they haven’t received any request for state assistance from area’s hit by Wednesday’s storms.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

High profile Bureau County trial delayed until later this summer

Posted by wlpo on June 25, 2016

If you’ve been following the story of a Mendota teenage girl being hit and killed while walking on a rural Bureau County road, the man blamed in the fatal hit and run has had his trial pushed back.

Twenty-year-old Jose Torres was originally scheduled to stand trial one month from today for his alleged role in the death of 19-year-old Jacquelin Martinez of Mendota. Martinez and other teens were walking on a rural road near Bureau last August when they were hit. Everyone but Martinez survived.

Torres is now looking at an August 22nd jury trial date. He faces felony charges of failing to report an accident resulting in death and failing to report an accident resulting in an injury.

Torres also faces a lesser charge of fraud in La Salle County where he’s accused of trying to prevent a repo man from taking his Jaguar that investigators say was the car involved in the fatal hit and run.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »

Extra aid for Starved Rock call

Posted by wlpo on June 25, 2016

It may seem a bit much for 1 man, but, Utica EMTs got additional help handling a single injury today at Starved Rock State Park. Lt. Robin Partain is with the department. She told “Classic Hits 103-9 WLPO” they were called at 11:20 to a trail near the Visitors Center.  A southern Illinois man tripped over a bench and was taken to IVCH.  The man was not identified.

The reason for extra manpower by Oglesby and LaSalle.  It’s a hot day….and all departments are taking necessary precautions so none of their members get overcome by the heat.

 

 

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a Comment »