Classic Hits 103.9 WLPO

News from the Illinois Valley

Cigarette butt blamed for fire that gutted an Ottawa home

Posted by wlpo on March 1, 2016

Careless smoking is the reason why a family lost their home in Ottawa.

Ottawa firefighters were called to a house fire at 710 Illinois Avenue just before 11 Monday night. When they got to the scene, they saw heavy fire coming from the backside of the one-story house. An Ottawa police officer actually first saw the fire and got the sleeping family out of the home.

Ottawa Fire Chief Steve Haywood says the home is a total loss. He thinks someone smoking behind the house missed a coffee can with their discarded cigarette butt and that led to the fire.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

 
%d bloggers like this: