Classic Hits 103.9 WLPO

News from the Illinois Valley

Mandatory evacuation continues in Utica despite lower flood projection

Posted by wlpo on June 17, 2015

Water has yet to reach businesses and homes in Utica and latest projections show it may not this time around.

The Utica Village Board had an emergency meeting Wednesday morning and Village President Matt Jereb says flood level projections are less than previously anticipated. To be cautious though, a mandatory evacuation is still in effect for homes and businesses that had water on their properties in 2008 and 2013.

Jereb says the village will continue to keep everyone in Utica updated via the Code Red telephone system. You can access your home or business in the evacuated area but you shouldn’t stay there for very long.

Trustees Wednesday morning gave Jereb the ability to hire temporary help if needed to fight the flood. The board also declared a state of emergency in Utica which makes them eligible to get possible state and federal reimbursement for flooding clean up costs.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

 
%d bloggers like this: