Classic Hits 103.9 WLPO

News from the Illinois Valley

Costume guests forced to evacuate

Posted by wlpo on December 7, 2014

A Chicago-area hotel was evacuated and 19 people taken to hospitals early Sunday after a chlorine leak that authorities say was an intentional act.   The Rosemont Public Safety Department says authorities responded around 12:45 a.m. to the Hyatt Regency O’Hare, which was hosting a convention in which many people were dressed as furry animals.

The hotel was evacuated because of high levels of chlorine gas in the air. The source of the gas appeared to be powdered chlorine that was found in the 9th-floor stairwell. People were later allowed to return. Authorities say those who were taken to hospitals complained of nausea and dizziness.

The hotel was hosting the Midwest FurFest convention, where attendees dress as animals to celebrate art, literature and performance.

Advertisements

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

 
%d bloggers like this: