Classic Hits 103.9 WLPO

News from the Illinois Valley

House approves cellphone ban, heads to gov’s desk

Posted by wlpo on May 29, 2013

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) – A proposal that would ban the use of cellphones while driving in Illinois is headed to Gov. Pat Quinn’s desk.

The House approved the bill 69-48 Tuesday, following a Senate vote late last week. Quinn’s spokeswoman says the Chicago Democrat will review the bill once he receives it. The proposal says motorists must use hands-free devices or speakerphone functions on their phones.

Police would be able to ticket drivers holding a cellphone except during emergencies. Dozens of Illinois communities, including Chicago, already ban talking on cellphones while driving.

Sponsor Democratic Sen. John Mulroe says the bill makes roads safer. Opponents, including Rep. Jack Franks, say there are many other ways of distracted driving.

House members first approved the plan in March.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

 
%d bloggers like this: